Wednesday, November 3, 2010

He Is Everywhere

"7 Where can I go from Your Spirit?
Or where can I flee from Your presence?
8 If I ascend into heaven, You are there;
If I make my bed in hell, behold, You are there.
9 If I take the wings of the morning,
And dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea,
10 Even there Your hand shall lead me,
And Your right hand shall hold me.
11 If I say, “Surely the darkness shall fall[a] on me,”
Even the night shall be light about me;
12 Indeed, the darkness shall not hide from You,
But the night shines as the day;
The darkness and the light are both alike to You."
Psalm 139:7-12

Recently when asked if I could step up and teach the teen class on Wednesday nights at church, I jumped at the opportunity to do so. Though I am married to a teacher, that did not mean I was capable of teaching myself. I had never taught before, and especially not something so serious as a Bible class.

I had several thoughts going through my mind. First, I was asking myself if I was capable of teaching a class. All people have talents, but not all are blessed with the gift of being able to teach. I could not answer for myself if I was able to until I actually did it. Second, I wondered what would I teach? Realizing that I would only have a few months to make a lasting impression on these teens, I knew I had to pick a subject that would do the most good in building their faith. I was comfortable knowing that they were getting a strong Bible education from other functions in worship, so this allowed me to teach something I love and put a lot of faith in- Apologetics.

Apologetics is the study of science that concerns itself with proving God's existence. I felt that this was the right subject to teach because our kids are getting enough misinformation on why God does not exist, that it was time to speak up. Now, I was the first to admit that I am not a scientist, but that was not going to stop me from doing my best. I knew that I did not have to be a scientist to teach God's influence- it was already visible everywhere. So there I was, a guy who had never taught before, who was not a scientist, and who had decided to pick the difficult topic of proving God's existence to a group of teens. I was not sure who had it worse off, the teens or me, so I prayed for both of us!

Famous atheist Bertrand Russell was once asked, "What would you say to God on the day of judgement if you find out He really does exist?" Mr. Russell responded by saying, "Sir, why did you take such pains to hide yourself?" This got me to thinking, was Mr. Russell blind? God's evidence is everywhere. Need proof? Let's take a look at how modern science has caught up with and confirmed Biblical facts;

1) David in Psalms 8:8 alludes to "whatsoever passes through the paths of the sea." It wasn't until 1860 that Matthew Fontaine Maury, a pioneer oceanographer confirmed that there were indeed paths, or currents in the oceans.

2)Isaiah 40:23 states that the Earth was a sphere, "circle of the Earth". This is thousands of years before Columbus sailed for the new world, believing still that the Earth was flat!

3) Job 26:7 said that the Earth hangs on nothing, it is free floating "He suspends the Earth on nothing." Science in those days believed the Earth sat on the back of a large animal. It was not until thousands of years later that we discovered it hung, literally from nothing.

4)Samuel 22:16, Jonah 2:6 says that the bottom of the oceans contained deep valleys and trenches in the floors, "The valleys of the sea were exposed.." We have just recently within the last century gained the technology capable of confirming this claim by viewing the ocean floors!

5) Job 38:16 tells us that the oceans are fed by fresh water springs in the floors, "Have you journeyed to the springs of the sea or walked in the recesses of the deep?" Again, we have just recently gained the technology to confirm this.

6) Jeremiah 33:22 says that there is an incalcuble number of stars, "..minister before me as countless as the stars of the sky.." Today, scientists are still trying to count them, and admit there is an infinite number.

I think we would all agree that there is no way for mere men to know these facts as they were recorded thousands of years before they were discovered by science. However, this is only the tip of the iceberg! Would you like to discuss some more?

7) The Earth sits at the perfect distance from the Sun in order to sustain life. If it sat 1/8 of an inch closer, the Earth would be scorched. However, if it were just 1/9 of an inch further away from the Sun, we would freeze to death.

8) Even the Earth's tilt on it's axis is perfect for life. Earth sits at a 23.5 degree angle which is perfect for regulating our summers and winters. This keeps us from being one giant desert due to extended summers, or one giant ice chunk because of extended winters.

9) 70% of our atmospheric oxygen comes from phytoplankton in our oceans. Everyone knows of course that our tides are regulated by the Earth's moon. However, did you know that if the moon was any closer to Earth it would create tidal waves so big it would crush all life? Any further away and the lack of tides would cause the oceans to go stagnant killing all phytoplankton, and oxygen production along with them.

Can God be muted? Can He be silenced by man? In order to deny God, it is not enough for man to just close their hearts to Him, we would also have to close our eyes to the world around us. God's signature is everywhere, and in all things. An atheist would have a better chance of silencing a hurricane than he would at silencing God.

Let us open our eyes and hearts daily to discover God's glory that is written all around us. Take a few minutes each day to read a book on apologetics and find out why you have the faith that you do. I believe this is a part of the command we are given in 1 Peter 3:15. When we do this, will not only be convinced, but be convicted in our belief in Him.

Are you convicted? Have you lived long enough with your eyes and heart closed? Are you ready to open them and stand amazed in the glory of the all powerful God? All you have to is look around you, He is there.

No comments:

Post a Comment